[Jacob-list] Re: coyotes and horses

Sugar Hill Farm sugarhil at northland.lib.mi.us
Thu Oct 19 09:48:32 EDT 2000

I tend to agree, Lisa, about not all horses having this ability.  Again, this might have to do with breeds that haven't had some of the old survival traits bred out.  I have Curly horses and Appaloosa.  One Curly mare that spent a good part of her life out on the open range.  And she has protected our lambs when they wandered into a temporary corral area she was in.

Some horses don't seem to react at all to dogs, but maybe that is just that they've been taught to tolerate them.  I do get concerned with lambs getting underfoot with the horses, but none of my horses seem to mind being pastured with them.

Marcia
Sugar Hill Farm