[Jacob-list] dogs and sheep

SJohn21855 at aol.com SJohn21855 at aol.com
Fri Oct 13 17:11:36 EDT 2000

Hi all,
 Last night I moved one of my lamb rams back over into the ram pasture with
the other rams and the LGD. Both the rams and the dog knew the lamb. They had
only been apart for a few weeks. I expected the rams to fight a little and
they did, but not that much. All was well. My husband and I walked to the end
of the driveway and back (about a quarter of a mile), he went into the house
while I took a last look at "the boys". The GP had chased the ram and bit him
on both sides (drew blood) and since he was so tired he was standing against
the fence and both rams were taking turns riding the poor little guy. I was
amazed! We weren't gone 20 minutes. The poor little ram was almost in shock.
I pulled him out of the pen, went and got my husband to help me put him into
a stall. He is up and eating today, but he is slow moving. I have medicine on
the cuts, is there anything else that anyone can suggest, besides shooting
the dog? I know the dog will kill a small lamb (birth to three months, but
she has never chased a large lamb before. I'm pretty disgusted with the dog
at this point.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
God bless,
Shelly