[Jacob-list] Bran Taning Sheepskin

Pavel pavel314 at home.com
Thu Oct 12 19:53:13 EDT 2000

I just finished tanning a sheepskin for the first time. I used the
salt-alum-soda method from a 1975 booklet called "Fur Tanning
Techniques" by S.J. Huntington. Phebe used this back when she was
tanning rabbit skins. It worked well; I now have a tanned sheepskin and
am trying to think of what to do with it.

While the skin was in the tanning bath, we got a recent book, "Tan Your
Hide!" by Phyllis Hobson. In it, she has a special method of tanning
sheep skins that uses an alum, potassium nitrate, and bran paste as the
tanning agent. No bath, just brush it on and let it set for a week.

This sounds interesting; has anyone tried this method?

Paul Intihar
Rainbow Farm
Joppa, Maryland
Website: http://members.home.net/rbfarm/