[Jacob-list] Brownie troops and seasons

Susan L. Nielsen snielsen at orednet.org
Tue Oct 3 12:37:45 EDT 2000

On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, iseespots wrote:

> WHEN is it a safe time to have the "general public" out to the farm?

Maybe folks just ought to know (or be told!) that life on a farm
involves elimination and sex and death and birth. If they want kids
to see the farm, it's a good bet they are going to see some of
that.

I remember, many years ago, visiting the nearest neighbors up the
road -- that was about 5 miles. They had a pair of kids 3 and 5 years
old. While we were out digging up some thyme plants, the drakes
decided to jump on the ducks. With ducks, it involves a lot of
chasing and cheering. The 2 kids were in there cheering with all
the waterfowl, and then came hurtling over to tell us the ducks
were making ducklings again. Does anybody think it actually hurts
kids to know this?

I'm betting that a pre-visit consulation would prepare the chaperones
for the eventualities. I expect it is the adults who are most
uncomfortable. The kids probably can deal with it. As to the parents,
well, that's the chaperone's responsibility, isn't it?

Susan
--
Susan Nielsen, Shambles Workshops      |"...Gently down the
Beavercreek, OR, USA                   |stream..."