[Jacob-list] horn question

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Tue Oct 3 10:48:17 EDT 2000

Fred Horak here.   James Clark (The Great Arc of the Wild Sheep) describes
horns that are cracked and presents causes as sickness, drought, stress.  He
suggests that there is a massive amount of energy that goes into growing
horns (in the wild) and any disruption in the energy supply can casue
"breaks".

We have seen that in our Jacobs here in Texas.  While a Jacob is not wild but
a domestic, I suspect the same energy principle applies.  We see cracks and
surface weaknesses with drought and stress.  We assume it is rather normal.

Horns on aged rams can probably tell "weather history"...we have had 0.17
inches of rain in the past ninety days.  We have not seen any blood or
seepage from any cracks.

I wonder about the "blood" capacity of the core at these breaks.  Cut-off?
Rerouted around a crack?  Peter Spellmeyer may have specific insights into
this phenomena.

Fred Horak