[Jacob-list] horn question

Kathryn Shirley humbug7 at worldnet.att.net
Mon Oct 2 20:28:12 EDT 2000

What you are seeing is fairly common in horned animals.  If you notice,
your rams have "growth" rings (ridges).  These ridges can get separated
for lots of reasons.  Some are diet, dry air, lots of rain and usually
all are combined with fence, tree, or sheep bashing.  This puts stress
on the "rings" and cause them to separate slightly.  Occasionally the
horn can get knocked off, but most of the time you just get the cracks.

Do not medicate or spray the area unless an active infection is
present.  Moistness in the hole can cause the very problems you are
trying to avoid.

Kate Shirley, Humbug Farm