[Jacob-list] horn question

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Mon Oct 2 10:02:16 EDT 2000

To jacoblist members:

I have asked Linda to post a photo of the horns on
our two horn, 18-month old Jacob ram.  I have
asked several breeders about what I am seeing, and
everyone I have asked seems to be at a loss
claiming to have never heard or seen such a thing.
Since I had a digital camera in my possession
yesterday for a few hours, I thought I would take
advantage and offer this up to all of you.

In short, he has an opening / crack / crevice in each
horn...practically mirror images of one
another with respect to location and size.  The
opening in the left horn, shown in the photo is
the larger of the two, is wider and appears deeper
than the other.  Both are large enough that
small pieces of hay debris can and do become
trapped or lodged in the small opening.

I first noticed them about 8 weeks ago and my first
impression was that they were areas where the
horn material had not fused fully...now it almost
seems like the one in the photo is larger than
it once was.

Both openings are dry...no drainage ever from them.
 I have been spraying the area about once a
week, because I am concerned about something
getting in there.

I would like to know if anyone has any idea on what
this might be indicative of and what, if
anything I should do.....should the area be sealed,
left open, etc.

I would appreciate any information and you may
direct to the list or to me personally at
perfectspot at blueridge.net

Thanks....

Cathy Robinson
Perfect Spot Farm