[Jacob-list] fleeces

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Thu May 25 19:30:28 EDT 2000

General question for everybody -

This year I separated most of my fleeces apart by color, sending a batch of white, a batch of black, and a mixed batch for processing into rovings.  I only kept one fleece intact, one that had very different qualities than the others (a creamier white, much more fading, and more lanolin).

Many marketing-folk have told me that handspinners like a roving that is connected to a particular sheep, so they can ask for "Susiebell" again next year.

Now, if one simply send 20 black and white Jacob fleeces for individual processing, doesn't one end up with 20 nearly indistinguishable sets of grey roving?

What have most of you found to be the best way to handle this?

thom