[Jacob-list] ewes losing wool

Jeanne Custer jcuster at rconnect.com
Wed May 24 21:32:59 EDT 2000

Hi all. I'm hoping you can help us determine the reason why our ewes are losing their wool. About three or four weeks ago, we noticed one ewe was losing her wool down to the skin. We noticed tiny black spots and we figured it was lice and treated for it with a pour-on.

Now, the wool has grown back so no skin is visible, but they continue to lose wool. One evening my husband noticed a lamb eating the wool off her mom's back. In all the time we watch them, we've only seen that happen once.

They are about 5 weeks into lactation, getting  about 2 lbs. of grain a day, lush grass pasture and mineral.

We are appreciative of any insight you may have.

Jeanne and Jeff Custer
Lustleigh Farm
Lake City, MN