[Jacob-list] prelim DNA sequence results

Floyd far4 at cornell.edu
Thu May 25 22:29:04 EDT 2000

I got my first Jacob Hoof DNA sequence finished and compiled today.  It
worked better than I expected.  I compared 1,000 base pairs (letters of
sequence) of the mitochondrial (maternally inherited) control region
(highly variable / high mutation rate) to 10 other sheep sequences obtained
by a study done in New Zealand and to a wild Mouflon.  So far the Jacob
sequence is more different from the other sheep sequences than they are to
each other and diverges earlier from a common ancestor than the other
sheep.  Of course I need to run more Jacobs and other breeds to refine this
but it looks interesting so far.  I just recieved a lot of Jacob, Shetland
and Churro samples, thanks. I will keep you posted when I get more results.

-Floyd