[Jacob-list] New lamb

dazazel at usit.net dazazel at usit.net
Sat May 20 12:01:58 EDT 2000

Well, I went to the Knoxville Rare Livestock Expo today, not planning to buy
anything since I'm broke until I get my paycheck--but I ended up with a ram
lamb.  I was admiring a lady's Jacob lambs and asked if any of them were ram
lambs.  She said all three were and that they were only $50.  Well, I didn't
have $50 but just that minute the guy who owns the land I keep my sheep on
appeared at my elbow like he'd just dropped out of the sky and offered to
buy one of the lambs for me.  How could I refuse?  I picked a 4-horned guy
with really nice markings--he doesn't have as much separation between his
horns as I would like on the left side, but he looks good.  The only problem
is, he's only a couple of months old and not entirely weaned.  I don't
really like the idea of a bottle-fed ram, but the price was right.  I'm
keeping him in the house for the time being, and he's walking around driving
the cats insane and nibbling on everything.  He's really cute!  I took him
out on a leash a little while ago and he ate some clover and honeysuckle
leaves, then when we came back in he started bawling and trying to eat my
fingers so I mixed up some replacer milk and gave him about 3 ounces.  I
don't know if that's enough.  The lady said he was getting fed three times a
day and is eating a little hay and grain.  Any suggestions on how I can wean
him quickly (or if I should keep him on the bottle for another month or so)?
I'd like to get him out in the pasture as soon as possible, but I want him
to be healthy too.  I've pretty much decided to name him Bravo.

Katherine

--
Visit the Valentin Peytchinov Fan Page at http://www.public.usit.net/dazazel/
Devoted to the best bass opera singer in the world!  AND the world-famous