[Jacob-list] oops!

wolfpen wolfpen at alltel.net
Thu May 18 14:04:58 EDT 2000

Shelly

You touched on something I know about having done the same thing with the
first ram I banded. He was a bottle lamb (not a Jacob) so I banded him
thinking he would be a nice pet quality sheep.  He never became aggressive
towards me, but the day the pet owner came to get him he knocked her to the
ground. She decided that he wasn't going to be a pet at her farm.  Then one
day I say him standing with his feet on the fence and it all became clear.
Well defined beneath the skin were two testicles.  I had gotten the scotum,
but had kinda forgotten something!  Beavis the Butthead was moved indoors
(to the freezer) and I learned to check a little more carefully. I raised
him to about 8 months first and there was never a problem.  I believe the
practice of just removing the scotum is used sometimes in raising freezer
lambs - something about thinking that they grow better.  So I would not
expect any health problems.  In my experience with Jacob lambs, it seems to
take around three weeks before you can get a grip on the testicles.  Does
this fit in with other breeder's experience?  I have one now that is almost
four weeks and I can just feel them, but can't get them down enough to band.
I'm worried that it may be too late to band - any advice?  As all my cull
rams go for freezer lambs, I haven't bothered banding in a few years.
Someone specifically wants this one as a wether so if anyone has any
thoughts on whether it's too late to band, I'd appreciate it.