[Jacob-list] freckles?

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu May 18 11:01:17 EDT 2000

In a message dated 5/10/00 4:34:17 PM Central Daylight Time,
wolfpen at alltel.net writes:

<< Also - does the black spotting on the skin always lead to black fiber?  I
 have one with black skin spots, but it hasn't shown up in the fiber yet. >>

We have many sheep that have "mottled" skin but no black wool coming from it.
 Since this shows up most heavily on the back,  it seems it may be a reaction
to the sun here.  We have seen freckles on new born lambs,  appearing at
several months of age and sometimes not appearing until age two.  We got a
ram from NY that had not had any freckles according to the owner.  When we
sheared him,   he was freckled and the next year he was very freckled.  This
ram was about 4 by then.

What I see is that MOST Jacobs have freckles and this seems to be a dominant
trait.  What I would not like to see is all Jacobs with freckles which is a
distinct possibility over time if breeders do not pay attention.

Joan Horak