[Jacob-list] Downed Sheep

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Thu May 18 10:51:50 EDT 2000

We have had some luck with injuries like this (usually in a ram).  It does
take a little time,  but the use of antiflammatories may help.  Depending on
how the ewe hit whatever she hit, it could also be that she has Dysplasia
which causes the spinal cord be pinched when the neck is injured.  If she has
compressed a disc she may be fine after the swelling goes down.

We have had sick lambs in the past that a particular ewe decided should no
longer be on this Earth.  We learned that the sick ones should be isolated
with their mom until they are better.  Sometimes lambs that have something
wrong with them are singled out by the members of the flock for
extermination.  Those lambs should probably be put down as something is
seriously wrong with them.  Take a good look at lambs like this.

Joan Horak