[Jacob-list] freckles?

WenlochFrm at aol.com WenlochFrm at aol.com
Wed May 10 12:14:44 EDT 2000

wolfpen at alltel.net writes:

> I don't see one single freckle on this
>  lamb. With his skin so easy to see, I've given him a thorough exam.  Do
>  freckles sometimes show up later?  When? How much later?

In my experience the freckling has usually shown up by at least three or four
months of age. Some say that freckling present in the first year will become
more so as the sheep ages, but I can't say that has been true in my flock. I
do have one ewe that is six years old that was free of freckles, but now has
some on her face if you want to count that as freckling. And one ram that was
heavily freckled as a lamb to the point that the white spotting looked grey
has much less freckling now, and the white actually looks white now. He was
born in June, so some of the freckling as a lamb may have been caused from
the sun.

I think it was Joan Horak that said the English believe that freckling is
linked to  coloring on the legs, and from my experience, I'm inclined to
agree with that. I love a lot of coloring on the legs and try to breed for
it, but I keep a couple of rams here that have no leg coloring and are
freckle free that I can breed back to just in case I get into trouble with
too much freckling.

Joan Franklin