[Jacob-list] freckles?

wolfpen wolfpen at alltel.net
Wed May 10 17:39:53 EDT 2000

Thanks all,

There is certainly alot of information out there about freckles.  I'd heard
rumors as to the correlation between leg markings and freckles during
earlier discussions.  I do have one ewe (she's 5 years old now) with black
feet, hock and knee patches and no freckles.  Until this year, when she was
bred to a ram from a heavily freckled line, she has never had a freckled
lamb. This year she had twins, one with no leg markings and no freckles and
one with all the extras plus freckles.
I had heard that the darkening face was an indication that freckling would
show up at a later date - haven't seen that yet, but it probably hasn't been
long enough for me to tell with the one I have with that trait.
The new little boy has black on his hooves, but no other leg markings, so
we'll see what develops.

Also - does the black spotting on the skin always lead to black fiber?  I
have one with black skin spots, but it hasn't shown up in the fiber yet.
He's two.
When people say that freckles show up in the first shearing - does that mean
they actually manifest themselves around that time or is this the first that
they are noticed?  I'm just wondering if I grab this boy at 6 months and do
a complete "freckle search" and don't find any, and he doesn't show the
darkening face or legs, is there a good chance that he will not be freckled,
even though his parents are?  Of course by then his horns will probably be
on backwards or something.