[Jacob-list] Guard Llama

Kate Barrett kbarrett at oregontrail.net
Wed May 3 12:55:32 EDT 2000

My Llama experience has been a good one.  I have an older gelded llama, that fits right in with the sheep, and seems to like them alot.  The funniest part is he has really bonded with my 4 horned ram, and they make an amusing pair.  The best part of this llama is he is so laid back.. The ram really wanted to take him on when he first showed up, and the llama was very much into passive resistance, he never so much as spit...which by the way he has not done in our 6 months together.  He is very gentle and interested in the young lambs, and does keep a watchful eye out for any new animals in the area.  He takes my dogs in stride, but will chase them out of the pasture if he decides they need to go.  We are surrounded by farms who have lost lambs to cougars and coyotes, but either through luck or llama, we have been safe.  The other bright side is that llamas are such interesting characters, very thoughtful creatures, and they just need the same care that the sheep do. He is an asset to my horses which are no longer terrified of him.  I put this fellow in with the sheep right off, and never have regretted his arrival. The price for a gelded llama should not be too exorbitant so check around for a deal. Other sheep folk in my area have had very good luck with llamas as well.
Kate Barrett
Ruby Peak Jacobs