[Jacob-list] Guard Llama

Mary McCracken mcmcc at ucinet.com
Wed May 3 12:34:09 EDT 2000

It is VERY important not to put stud llamas in with sheep.  Some have killed many ewes trying to get the to kush, lie down, for breeding.  I would be suspicious of a stud who has already abused sheep even after castration.  I bought a young stud llama after he was sexually active, had him castrated before getting out of my trailer and he has been great with sheep but continues to try to get the female llama to let him breed her.  She allowed it for the first year but now manages to ignore his advances.

But a good llama is a treasure around sheep.  they learn to recognize home dogs and ignore them but will follow a strange dog even when it is walking with its master.  Training herding dogs in a field with llamas has not worked here.  The sheep run to the llamas and the dog knows better than to get within reach.  End of session.

My llamas have been seen facing off a pair of coyotes as they scoped out the sheep through the fence one early morning.  I also enjoy them.  One llama is the most effective because they then stay with the sheep.  My llamas are a self contained group but are territorial....and their territory is also the sheep territory.  And the sheep seem to know they afford them protection.

mary mccracken