[Jacob-list] Guard Llama

Jim Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Wed May 3 11:13:40 EDT 2000

We purchased a llama about 4 years ago when he was 6 months old.  We have coyote problems around here, and heard they might help.  When he was older, we began to be suspicious when we would see a dead lamb or two in the pasture with no apparent cause of death.  Then one day I saw him separate a newborn lamb from its mother and knock it on the ground.  My husband intervened and we separated "Flash" from the flock.  We had the vet come out and castrate him last year.  The group of ewes he is out to pasture with have not had their lambs yet,
so we will watch very closely to see if his behavior problem has been corrected.

                                                                                   Mary Spahr