[Jacob-list] More questions

Jim Millar millarjs at clarityconnect.com
Thu Jun 15 09:34:28 EDT 2000

Lisa and all,
I would guess that in Florida with no pasture you will have a very hard time
breaking even with your sheep.  The most efficient way to keep sheep is to
have grass for them as long as possible during the year.  Anytime you have
to bring in feed, keeping the animal can get expensive.  Could you lease
pasture area?  Could any of your wooded areas be converted to grass over
time? The more animals you keep without rotating to new pastures, and
without a solid freeze means that your worm load will really have to be
monitored.  This is another expense.  However, I'm sure a creative person
can think of all sorts of "value added" sheep items to keep your income side
equally high. It will take time to find markets, so give yourself a "five
year plan" . You can figure out your expenses easily enough.  Good quality
mixed legume hay should be fine most of the year for rams and ewes.  Some
use grain to flush at breeding time, during the last trimester and during
early lactation.  If you could have your ewes and lambs on good grass at
lambing time, there should be no need for supplemental grain.  Pam Millar,
ZuZu's Petals Farm

ps Thanks for the sick lamb advice.  He seems to be on the mend.