[Jacob-list] More questions

Penelope pcj at efn.org
Thu Jun 15 01:28:13 EDT 2000

At 15:30 6/14/00 -0400, Thomas Simmons wrote:
>>  Also, how long should it be before my herd can sustain itself i.e. money

>I think we'll be making a profit about the year 2525 . . . .you're going to
>find it  hard to make a profit (or break even) if you have to buy all the
>food (hay) all year.  Is there a ready market in your area for the fleeces?

	As an escaped Florida native, I'd guess that she would have a good market
with the Society For Creative Anacronism, which is active year round in FL.
 To the best of my knowledge there are few sheep at all in FL, due to the
heat and humidity.  My spouse and I were considered odd when we had goats -
but we were on the fringes of a big city too (Tampa area).

	I'm dying to know how the sheep do with the climate in Florida.  Does the
year round heat affect their wool?

	As for parasites, rotate them from one "pasture" to another, and hope for
a freeze or two in the winter to cut down on the bug population.  And use
wormers regularly.  I've been discovering how much of a headache dealing
with livestock in FL was, now that I'm living somewhere with more than one
season.  :-)

peace
penelope

--
"...Shine my life like a light..." (the indigo girls)
Penelope Jacob pcj at efn.org  in the hills of Yoncalla, Oregon

Working on baby #1 - due for birth at home in September or October 00