[Jacob-list] More questions

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Wed Jun 14 15:30:47 EDT 2000

Lisa -

Now understand that these answers are coming to you from New England, so
there may be a difference, but here's how I would answer from my experience:

--How much hay does one ewe need for a
>year? (approximately) I am thinking with hay only to feed, I should grain
>feed during breeding season (at least the ram) and keep grain feeding
>through lambing. Is this correct?

In the winter, my sheep must be fed hay since the grass is under three feet
of snow.  This past winter we used one bale per day for 12 sheep.  If the
sheep are not on pasture, they are nopt going to get a full range of
minerals, so I would feed them each 1/2 lb. Coarse-14 grain daily along with
the hay.

>  Also, how long should it be before my herd can sustain itself i.e. money
>bring in from fleece, lambs, etc. goes back into the herd with no out of
>pocket money from us. How many sheep does it take to have a herd that
>sustains itself?

I think we'll be making a profit about the year 2525 . . . .you're going to
find it  hard to make a profit (or break even) if you have to buy all the
food (hay) all year.  Is there a ready market in your area for the fleeces?
Or will you have to ship them, or process them, or market them, or "drive"
them somewhere?  For break even, we're talking counting PENNIES at our
place.

>  If I am feeding hay, how many sheep can I expect to put on one acre
>without overcrowding probelms that lead to disease and parasite problems?

I have had 7-8 per acre so far, with no problems, BUT, up north, the ground
freezes while down south the little buggers are reproducing all year, so you
might need a fellow souitherner to anser that one.

thom