[Jacob-list] re: grain for sheep and question about overweight sheep

Heather Hettick hettick.1 at osu.edu
Tue Jun 13 10:27:12 EDT 2000

I only give mine grain to catch them and during the last month of pregnancy
if they look like they need it.  I had an overweight ewe pregnant with twins
who I found in early stages of ketosis when I was feeding just hay and
occasional grazing this winter and my vet suggested feeding grain to prevent
further problems.  I continued some grain into lactation and tried to get my
bummer lamb to eat creep feed with limited success but when the grass took
off, I quit feeding grain and creep and the sheep all look enormously fat
and their fleeces are just fine.  The hardest part of producing good fleeces
for me is keeping them clean while they are in the barn over the winter but
allowing them to get outside as much as possible seemed to help.  I also
give them as much loose sheep salt as they want and I occasionally
"supplement" them with thistles and dandelions from my gardens because they
really like them and I don't.

I have a question too.  Is there any way to keep a sheep from getting
overweight on lush pasture besides locking her in the barn and feeding just
hay?  I have a yearling ewe who failed to conceive last year and she is a
little tank.  I am really worried that this extra weight will affect her
health or ability to reproduce this fall.  I'm actually hesitant to wean my
lambs for fear that their mothers will become really fat too.  We have had a
lot more rain this year and the pasture is growing like crazy.  We don't
need any more hay and my husband doesn't want to pay someone to cut it this
year so he's been mowing to keep it under control.  I keep telling him I
just need more sheep, but he doesn't like that solution.

Heather Hettick - Moonstruck Jacob Sheep
OSU ATI
Hettick.1 at osu.edu