[Jacob-list] flies

D&K OBERLEF oberlef at desupernet.net
Thu Jun 8 12:02:43 EDT 2000

We had one chick at our other farm that got left behind when the flock was
moved down to the garden (they lived in a portable pen for the summer.)
This little survivor refused to be caught and instead shacked up with the
sheep.  It spent it's days riding around on their backs.  When threatened in
any way it would dart around and through all those black hooves.  Impossible
to catch either for us or that hungry fox.  We thoroughly enjoyed the
antics.

Here at this place we built a short chicken run that connects the coop and
the sheep pasture.  Early afternoon (we find most of the eggs are laid in
the coop this way) we open the small opening and the chickens come pouring
out cackling and happy with the roosters dancing about and flirting with the
hens. They scratch around finding who knows what and gulping down insects.
By sundown, they are all back in the coop and we close the door.

Happy to hear they like ticks!  Since moving here a year and a half ago, we
have seen more dog ticks than we can count. Any other tricks to get rid of
them would be highly appreciated.  Hope the chickens help. Katrina Lefever