[Jacob-list] chickens for fly control

SJohn21855 at aol.com SJohn21855 at aol.com
Thu Jun 8 07:32:21 EDT 2000

Hi all,
 I also have free range chickens. There is just enough of a hole under the
fence to allow them to go from paddock to paddock and to the outside world.
Fox haven't been a problem because of the dogs that we have. My husband made
a really nice wooden nesting box - with four separate nests. It worked really
well until my Black Cotswold ram decided that he loves eggs! He will stand
patiently by the nest box watching the hens sit on the nest. As soon as one
of them gets up he swoops down like a buzzard and munches the egg. It is very
humorous to watch, however, it's not very humorous when I have to go to the
store and buy eggs.
  Likewise, I have found that flies and other insects are a lot fewer with
the chickens about, with the extra bonus (if I'm faster than Blocker) of
fresh eggs.
God Bless,
Shelly