[Jacob-list] flies

Susan J Martin stonecroft235 at juno.com
Thu Jun 8 07:24:39 EDT 2000

We have a few hens and a rooster who roam freely in one of our pastures -
the four foot high woven wire fence contains them, and when they do
decide to explore our dog threatens them fearfully and they opt to return
to safety (if they get into my flower beds I threaten them fearfully
too!!!)    They do a WONDERFUL job of eating fly larvae and eggs, and
even occasionally picking stuff out of the fleeces on the sheep, who
don't seem to mind that kind of grooming at all.  We have a small roost
in the shed for them to roost on at night (predators have not been a
problem and  foxes and racoons abound around here),  we use five gallon
buckets for nesting boxes (bucket is placed horizontally with end screwed
into wall a short distance from the floor) with a small piece of wood
across the opening of the bucket to keep in the straw and eggs.  Mounted
on the wall by the roost we have a hopper-type, self-feed kind of rabbit
feeder for the chicken pellets - the chickens have to fly up onto the
roost to eat - this eliminates the sheep eating their food, which they
love to do, by the way.  We also provide grit, occasional oyster flakes
and cracked corn, and by placing an old tire by the water bucket for them
to stand on, they can drink there with the sheep.    These little red
hens lay wonderful brown eggs, and definitely help with flies &
ticks....not to mention the beauty of a very proud New Hampshire Red
rooster strutting around with his harem.  (Incidentally, chickens are
subject to coccidiosis, but it is specie  specific - the strain of
coccidia chickens are vulnerable to is a different strain than attacks
lambs, as per my vet.....and most range-raised chickens are much
healthier than housed chickens.)

Sue Martin
Stonecroft Manor
Juno now offers FREE Internet Access!