Fw: [Jacob-list] horn question

Aaron and Abigail Brown blotham at sigecom.net
Wed Jul 5 06:39:15 EDT 2000

Subject: Re: [Jacob-list] horn question

We had something similar happen. One of the ram lambs from last year had two
of his four horns growing growing back towards his neck. Come about January
we thought we were going to have to cut horns as it had rubbed the wool to
the skin and looked like they were ready to go into the skin.

We just sheered this boy yesterday and those horns are a long ways from the
neck. They took care of themselves without having to be cut.

Abigail Brown
Shiloh Farms

I've had a few where the angle of the horn where it meets the head
has changed drastically, almost overnight.  Of course, when you
change that angle the whole horn moves. I had a ewe lamb that really
looked like one lateral would grow into her cheek.  The growth angle
from her head straightened out and became more closely horizontal.
The horn still curves toward the cheek, but actually keeps getting
farther away. At two years old it has never needed trimming.

Linda
-- linda, wolfpen at alltel.net on 30/06/2000