[Jacob-list] advertising in general

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Thu Dec 14 08:42:04 EST 2000

Very Often, when we think of "advertising," we think of paying someone else
to put an "ad" in a magazine or a paper or something similar.  Many of these
have very little payback for buyer; in fact a Jacob ad will often raise
interest in the breed (which is good), but often the propspective buyer will
then do their research and end up buying from some one else!

One of the most effective marketing approaches is to give something for
nothing.  It is well known among small publishers that when you come out
with a book, you can go the "regular route" and pay for all sorts of
advertising; OR, you can send free books to 100 magazine and newsaper
editors.  Those 100 free books will garner you at least 5 free review
columns, and the whole thing costs you less than if you had taken out 5 ads
of equal size.

Want to sell rovings?  SEND FREE samples to everyone in the universe who
possibly might spin.  Want to break into a local market?  Send a free leg of
lamb to a local business/religious/political leader.along with a card.
You'll be amazed at how business picks up.

just my .02

thom