[Jacob-list] old time stock

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Wed Dec 13 12:50:47 EST 2000

I may be wrong here, but isn't the Jacob Sheep a rare "breed", not a rare "species."  It's a
domestic breed and primitive though it may be, it was developed by "human meddling."  Every
breeder has an impact on the breed.  We just can't help it.  Left to themselves in the wild, I
think we would find a very different animal from what we now consider a Jacobs.  I believe
that the four horned rams have a disadvantage in a fight with the two horned rams, so perhaps
there would be alot less four horned animals. Maybe life in the wild would favor a faster
animal, or a darker (harder to see) animal, or even a quieter animal - there goes my noisy
flock!  It would certainly weed out those bottle fed lambs, the ewes that need assistance
delivering, those without strong parasite resistance but, would they still be Jacob Sheep with
any spots at all and multiple horns?

Linda

On Tue, 12 Dec 2000 08:41:03 -0500, dave & katrina wrote:
>    The discussion of whether or not "human  meddling" in breeds is an interesting one and
>seems to me a comment on how we  view life/humans in general.  Probably it all goes back to
>the basic  question all people ask... are humans (and the things they do) basically  good
>or basically bad?  It seems it all depends on perspective.   Linda, thanks for
>reminding us (both readers/writers) how  easy it is to misunderstand the basic intentions of
>e-mail messages.
> Katrina Lefever

www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep