[Jacob-list] Modern Jacobs

Thomas Simmons creagchild at monad.net
Fri Dec 8 07:47:56 EST 2000

Well, Seth,

that just goes to show you the breadth of philosophies surrounding animal
husbandry.  Asregards rare breeds especially, I take thwe
180-degree-opposite position that you do.

Many once-primitive animals have been bred for standardization.  It makes
"commercial" sense, and it makes for nice blue ribbons on the mantel. But it
also "creates" something that disin;t exist, and destroys that which did
exist.

Standarized horse breeds look lovely and run well, but break their ankles
all too easily.  Turkey is great at thanksgiving, but, left to themselves,
they would die, since they are no longer physically able to breed.

There is more in a gene pool than just "what it looks like."  There are
mothering instincts, and hardiness, and resistance to disease and stress,
and a tone of other non-visible traits. When we breed for "standarization"
and throw out those with the "wrong" genes, we are also throwing out tons of
other genes, too.

I prefer my Jacobs funky.  The lean ram, the unique horn, the
fade-to-apricot, etc.  I prefer my gene pool as varied as it can be within
the "jacob realm."  Someday, my flock might have a "flock look," but God
only knows what that's going to be!

thom