[Jacob-list] transportation and the Hescock importation

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Thu Dec 7 08:57:39 EST 2000

Robin -

Thanks for sending along the article.  It's amazing that you can still have a diverse looking
flock after 23 years without adding new sheep and starting with just five sheep.  I'd love to
hear more on this if anyone has anything to add.

The idea of regional "sheep swaps" is wonderful.  It sounds like alot of people are interested
in exchanging transport information.  I'll be working on it.  If anyone has ideas,
suggestions, and especially ADVICE on the best way to go about this, please feel free to let
me know.  This is something I want to do, not necessarily something I know how to do.

When Dave left for work this morning at 7, there was a new spinning wheel sitting on our front
porch.  Not a surprise gift, as I had ordered it.  But, somehow the UPS driver managed to
deliver it during the night without either of us or our two "guard" dogs hearing.  Or, maybe
Santa dropped it off!

Linda

On Wed, 6 Dec 2000 18:15:44 EST,  wrote:
>Hi, Linda, I like your idea about coordinating sales and transportation.   I
>was fortunate to arrange to buy a ram from Royal Unzicker in PA and a ewe
>from Van Valkenburgs in NJ.  We were all going to the annual JSBA  meeting in
>NY,  so they brought the sheep with them and I brought them home with me. It
>would be great to organize regional "sheep swaps" late in the summer when the
>lambs are well started and we all know what we're keeping and what we'd like
>to add to our flocks.  My farm in Massachusetts is easily (close to
>interstates) commutable from Maine, NH, VT, CT, RI, and northeastern parts of
>NY,   with lots of parking space , and I would love to host a "transfer day"
>if there is any interest in it.  If other farms are accessable for  an annual
>regional buying and selling day ,  we could offer sheep for sale and line up
>buyers!  prior to that day.  This could be a great way to bring new bloodlines
>to small flocks in an organized,  well planned way, rather than settling for
>whatever you can get locally.                                        On
>another note, I have the article on the Hescock importation which I will
>snail mail you, but you had asked about the general details.  There were 2
>rams and 3 ewes from Scotland, (the USDA would not allow English Jacobs in)
>that were imported to Canada in 1977.  After an initial 30 month quarantine
>the USDA changed import requirements and added another 30 months (because of
>the  potential dormancy of scrapie)  In 1983, 21 Jacobs, including one of the
>original Scottish sheep were brought to Hescocks farm. !  The article does not
>mention any other Jacobs being added to the original 5, or any being sold or
>given away.  Robin Casasanto

www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep