[Jacob-list] transportation and the Hescock importation

Robvcas at aol.com Robvcas at aol.com
Wed Dec 6 18:15:44 EST 2000

Hi, Linda, I like your idea about coordinating sales and transportation.   I
was fortunate to arrange to buy a ram from Royal Unzicker in PA and a ewe
from Van Valkenburgs in NJ.  We were all going to the annual JSBA  meeting in
NY,  so they brought the sheep with them and I brought them home with me. It
would be great to organize regional "sheep swaps" late in the summer when the
lambs are well started and we all know what we're keeping and what we'd like
to add to our flocks.  My farm in Massachusetts is easily (close to
interstates) commutable from Maine, NH, VT, CT, RI, and northeastern parts of
NY,   with lots of parking space , and I would love to host a "transfer day"
if there is any interest in it.  If other farms are accessable for  an annual
regional buying and selling day ,  we could offer sheep for sale and line up
buyers prior to that day.  This could be a great way to bring new bloodlines
to small flocks in an organized,  well planned way, rather than settling for
whatever you can get locally.                                        On
another note, I have the article on the Hescock importation which I will
snail mail you, but you had asked about the general details.  There were 2
rams and 3 ewes from Scotland, (the USDA would not allow English Jacobs in)
that were imported to Canada in 1977.  After an initial 30 month quarantine
the USDA changed import requirements and added another 30 months (because of
the  potential dormancy of scrapie)  In 1983, 21 Jacobs, including one of the
original Scottish sheep were brought to Hescocks farm.  The article does not
mention any other Jacobs being added to the original 5, or any being sold or
given away.  Robin Casasanto