[Jacob-list] Hescock flock

iseespots iseespots at email.msn.com
Thu Dec 7 09:16:32 EST 2000

Hi all,

I think my comments about the diversity of the Hescock flock were probably
not stated as I had MEANT them.

The flock as a whole has a "flock look" that is uniform.  Bill Jones had 2
separate flock looks in his group of sheep with Fieldwood lineage and
Lasseau-style lineage backgrounds when I saw them this summer.

When you look at a flock that has been close genetically, you will get an
overall "look" of uniformity.  When you then start looking at INDIVIDUALS in
that same flock, you will see their many variations----variations that in
this case cover the gamut of "primitive" to "improved", freckled to
unfreckled, large and coarse to petite and fine-boned, leg spots to no leg
spots, muzzle patch to no muzzle patch, etc. etc. etc.

The Hescock flock I saw this past summer has a uniform "flock look", but has
individuals that are quite diverse in their individual traits displayed.

Mary Ellen
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, Shetland Sheep,
and German Angora Rabbits, colored German Angora crosses.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.