[Jacob-list] ram sharing

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Tue Dec 5 07:23:24 EST 2000

Hi all,

I do allow owners that I know to bring ewes when I have the room.  That happens less and less
often as I continue to fill up all available space with my own ewes!!
I did loan a young ram out this year - pretty much the way Royal is saying.  He's a lovely
boy, lilac with a gorgeous fleece - horn spacing a little too close for my taste, but overall
a nice one.  He went to visit a woman with just two ewes that would not have bred if I hadn't
loaned the ram. He's not needed here so will probably go in with the other freezer boys when
he returns. One is a ewe from my place and the other is one of very different bloodlines from
ISeeSpots.  So, I think adding that new line to our area Jacobs was worth the effort of
loaning the ram.

Linda

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000 12:10:17 -0500, Royal Unzicker wrote:
>    Hi,
> One more thought on sharing a ram.   I do  not like to bring sheep onto my property from
>breeders I do not know well.   I also do like to help other breeders.   I do keep any number
>of ram  lambs each year to see how they will turn out.  Usually I have several left  that did
>not sell.  I will allow someone to use a ram lamb if they pay for  the registration fee.
>When they are done with him, he goes directly to the  butcher.  It seems to work well for
>people with just a few ewes who do not  wish to buy a ram.   I help them develop their flock,
>they fed my ram  for several months, I get the meat and the pelt.  Seems to help both of
>us.  Must confess, I do wonder how many of them might have bought  a ram from me if I had
>refused to loan them one.
> 30 some days till  lambing starts!   Crafts Lobelia and Haycock Maude are both due on Jan
>4th. Can't wait!
> Royal

www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep