[Jacob-list] lamb dinners

dave & katrina oberlef at desupernet.net
Mon Dec 4 16:20:45 EST 2000

List-
I hope Linda B. and all the other experts out there share their lamb cooking secrets.  I am in the process of experimenting at the moment.  Tonight, I am making my first leg of lamb...It is smelling delicious!  Don't know if I am doing it right, but if it tastes like it smells...
I thawed out the meat in the ref the day before.  I have a huge rosemary outside so I put several springs under the meat when I put it in the baking dish.  Over this I poured a can of whole tomatoes (heirlooms from our garden), a bit of balsamic vinegar, a little olive oil, some lemon pepper, and many onions.  This has been baking at 300 degrees for several hours.  I read somewhere that lamb should be roasted at 325 for 25min per lb of lamb.  They said it is better rare to med rare.  Right now the meat is falling off the bone (it shrunk quite a bit) and when I swiped a piece, it was yummy and tender.   Since there is so much liquid in the pan, I am hoping that the long roasting time I am using will only make it more tender.  ???  I guess I will find out.  I know that we love lamb stew which is cooked at a low heat all day. (The meat is browned in a pan before adding.)

One website said the best seasonings for lamb were: Garlic, Lemon pepper, olive oil, Mint, Lemon juice, Oregano, Worcester Sauce, Dijon Mustard, Rosemary, Italian Salad Dressing, Basil and Soy sauce.

Katrina Lefever, Chicory Lane