[Jacob-list] lamb dinners

linda wolfpen at rabun.net
Tue Dec 5 07:40:34 EST 2000

I usually make alot of lamb/mutton sausage.  It comes out good and I doubt that anyone could
identify it as lamb.  I trim off as much lamb fat as possible and add pork fat. I experiment
alot, but my three standbys are country sausage (lots of sage), hot italian, and chorizo.
For people who don't like lamb, why not bone and grind it?  Use it for chili, spaghetti, etc.
When I'm low on freezer space and have alot of meat to put up (like when someone goes out and
actually shoots a deer!) I can the ground meat with either taco seasonings, as sloppy joes, or
with spaghetti seasonings.
Last year we had a 7 month old ewe lamb butchered - cut and wrapped.  It smelled terrible - as
Susan R mentioned, I really couldn't stand to smell it cooking.  I talked to a friend that
used to work at the butcher's and he said it sounded like the meat had been contaminated by
the wool during skinning.  According to him, it is very important not to touch the meat after
touching the wool.  I'm not one to waste meat, but that one went to the dogs and chickens.
The 8 month old ram we just did is excellent.
I cook lamb/mutton roasts and chops rare to medium rare.  I pretty much always rub olive oil
on the meat and usually dump some burgundy over it.  We love garlic, so it goes without saying
that I put garlic on it.  From there, it's whatever herb strikes my fancy.  I can't think of
an herb that I haven't used in some way.  Stews, shoulder roasts, shanks, etc. - I cook slowly
with liquid and whatever flavoring I'm in the mood for.
Katrina - you made me hungry reading your post!!
Linda

On Mon, 4 Dec 2000 16:20:45 -0500, dave & katrina wrote:
>    List-
> I hope Linda B. and all the other experts out  there share their lamb cooking secrets.  I am
>in the process of  experimenting at the moment.  Tonight, I am making my first leg of
>lamb...It is smelling delicious!  Don't know if I am doing it right, but if  it tastes like
>it smells...
>

>I thawed out the meat in the ref the day  before.  I have a huge rosemary outside so I put
>several springs under the  meat when I put it in the baking dish.  Over this I poured a can
>of whole  tomatoes (heirlooms from our garden), a bit of balsamic vinegar, a little olive
>oil, some lemon pepper, and many onions.  This has been baking at 300  degrees for several
>hours.  I read somewhere that lamb should be roasted at  325 for 25min per lb of lamb.  They
>said it is better rare to med  rare.  Right now the meat is falling off the bone (it shrunk
>quite a bit) and when I swiped a piece, it was yummy and  tender.   Since there is so much
>liquid in the pan, I am hoping that  the long roasting time I am using will only make it more
>tender.  ???   I guess I will find out.  I know that we love lamb stew which is cooked at  a
>low heat all day. (The meat is browned in a pan before adding.) One website said the best
>seasonings for lamb  were: Garlic, Lemon pepper, olive oil, Mint, Lemon juice, Oregano,
>Worcester  Sauce, Dijon Mustard, Rosemary, Italian Salad Dressing, Basil and Soy  sauce.
>
> Katrina Lefever, Chicory Lane

www.PatchworkFibers.com
Registered Jacob Sheep