[Jacob-list] advice on companion animals...

George Benedict benedict at snet.net
Mon Aug 28 21:08:34 EDT 2000

We haven't lost an animal to predators since the early '80's, but the growing local coyote population in NW Connecticut has us concerned. We've seen more and heard more coyotes this year than in the previous six.
Although we are delighted with our New Zealand fences and the job our Australian Shepherds have done so far, we think this is the year to look for a guard dog or alternative companion for the flock. So, although there has been discussion on this topic in the past, we sure would like to hear about anyone's experiences, positive or negative with different breeds of dogs, donkeys, llamas, and anything else that comes to mind.

George at www.ruralshades.com