[Jacob-list] Raising a Ram

Wayne & Edie Van Valkenburg joyew at jnlk.com
Thu Aug 24 09:04:03 EDT 2000

Hello Robin,
    The procedure I use here at Joy Farm is for the first three months I
catch and handle the lamb, petting him under the chin and kneel the
skin/wool down his neck to his brisket. DO NOT TOUCH HIS HORNS. After
that time he gets petted when he comes close on his own and thats
generally through the fence. Occasionally I hand feed him after the
first petting, then pet him after feeding that handful. When you go into
the field with a bucket of grain always feed him first, (thats natures
way, He is the leader), then feed the girls. He'll come over to check
what your doing, but will be interested in the feed. When in with the
girls he will naturally stay between you and the girls. Routinely move
the girls to the barn to handle them. The girls will go to the barn
whenever the gate is open, and he will follow. If you feel he is
challenging you BARK the word NO! so it startles him. If you have to
discipline him remember to over do it. Just as to rams keep at it, you
have to remain dominant to the point he respects you.
    Wayne Van Valkenburg
    Joy Farm, N.J.
    Preserving the uniqueness and beauty of the Jacob for 20 years.