Fwd: [Jacob-list] Raising a ram

Abigail Brown blotham at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 24 07:26:00 EDT 2000

Hello Robin,

In our experience we have had mean rams and nice ones,
but even when they are nice we have never fully
trusted them.

Our first ram, we made the mistake of petting him on
his forhead, like goats this made him butty. We didn't
have paddocks at the time so we tethered him out. The
only way we could control him was with a spraybottle
of vinegar and water. When he was super contrary we
would spray in his eyes to really distract him.

None of his offspring ever demonstrated this
characteristic, but we learned especially as they get
older, never take your eyes off of them, and I never
turn my back on them.

This fall we traded a yearling ram lambs with Phil
Nicols. Oreo has not demonstrated any aggressive
behavior like our first ram did. Phil said that Oreo
was always in the background of his older rams. We
haven't put him with the girls yet so don't know if
he'll decide to become their protector. So far he just
watches us and is curious. But as with any ram, I
still will not turn my back. Maybe I am too cautious,
but when you have one butt you, you learn to respect
them.

Abigail Brown
Shiloh Farm
Indiana