[Jacob-list] Color & Fleece

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Fri Apr 28 16:23:54 EDT 2000

Fred here.

I have been looking for some insight into this question when it came up on
the list in 1998; reference was graying and fading.  My reading and some
correspondence is leading toward the following:  The amount of eumelanin (the
pigment makes a Jacob black) is a function of fiber diameter.  The amount of
pigment in a follicle can be changed by sun and diet.

The support or rejection of this may be found in fleece micron counts from
Jacobs that have not "faded" over the years.  Fleece samples from the black
and white areas of several aged ewes and rams with known pedigrees would be
invaluable.

Does anyone have an insight into who might have "non-faders", 4-8 years old,
rams and ewes, with pedigrees, and could take a side sample for Yocum McColl.
 A sample of 10-20 would be a good starting place.  Any help on this, I am
willing to help pay for the tests.

Fred