[Jacob-list] Correlation of color contrast with coarse, non-crimpy fleece...

George Benedict benedict at snet.net
Fri Apr 28 08:53:25 EDT 2000

That's certainly what we see here. We have a few ewes from Maizie's flock
and they stand in stark contrast to our other Jacobs (MarshView, Fieldwood,
Puddleduck and others), both in terms of fleece and color. They never seem
to suffer from color fading and their wool is not crimped, wavy at best, and
somewhat coarser.

As an aside though, let's not forget that all Jacobs were imported, not just
the Hescock "Jacob's Ladder" flock. Other Jacob's I have seen in the UK, of
primitive type (yes, they still exist) are quite similar to Maizie's,
including a propensity toward pink noses....

Although I know from communicating with Gordon Johnston in Scotland, that
they "are not keen on pink noses" perhaps Gordon can give us some insights
into what he sees in and around the Scone Palace area...

George