[Jacob-list] Wool differences between primitive and imports

Edd Bissell bissell at usit.net
Fri Apr 28 08:19:11 EDT 2000

At 07:45 AM 4/28/00 -0400, you wrote:
>Edd, you mentioned Jacob sheep that are very black and white - is there
>any correlation between color and quality of fleece, quality meaning
>desirability for handspinning?  Do the Jacobs that maintain a striking
>black color with little fading have a coarser fleece, and the light
>brown/medium brown  Jacobs a softer, crimpier fleece?
>Sue Martin
>Stonecroft Manor
>
>_=============

I am the wrong person to ask that question to because wool quality is on the
bottom of my "list" of things to look for in a good Jacob.  BUT in my
opinion the coarser the fleece the stronger the color and seperation.  I
also noticed that in the Hescock/Import lines there is definately less
freckling - and when sheared the color patterns are absolutely definate - no
bleeding from black to white - just a definate line of seperation.  Now this
was evident on the sheep that I originally had and the 20 Hescock ewes that
Luther and I bought from Mazie.  I am sure as these more the Imports and the
old type have been interbred the less definition you see......Besides Mazie
and Bill Jones are there any pure or almost pure flocks out there???
Probably Janine's Fieldwood would be close to that although Suzanna put some
Lesseau into their flock years back I think. That would be a good thing for
ME to look for in her project.

=========
      Edd Bissell = Hidden View Farm = Rare and Primitive Breed Animals
Scottish Blackface=Jacob=Barbados=Texas Dall=Navajo-Churro=Churro Hairsheep
     ====Tennessee Nervous Meat Goats =  = Great Pyrenees LGDs=====
                  = bissell at usit.net = 423-475-4844 =
         1435 Collins Road - New Market, Tennessee U.S.A. 37820