[Jacob-list] Neck / mane /

shepherd iseespots at email.msn.com
Thu Apr 27 19:01:06 EDT 2000

Hi,

I believe the Janine said that Fieldwood Society (registry name is Fieldwood 9043) had a mane.  I know I have seen it in some animals.  Sunbriar Doreen didn't really have a mane, but sometimes the fleece around her neck reminded me vaguely of that.  Society was out of a New Cumbria ewe (Spring---also dam to Doreen) and a Fieldwood ram out of a real mixed genetic pool.  Society's 2 daughters here don't have manes.

Another breeder here in the area had a ram a few years back that he had gotten specifically from a Mr. Johnson down in GA who had purchased his stock from Ingrid Painter and Barbara Barclough.  That ram had a large mane at several years of age.  This local breeder was under the impression that this was the creme-de-la-creme of the West Coast Jacobs.  I don't particularly like the trait and don't really get the impression this is the standard on the West Coast either.

I saw a little of the mane in a ram with Pinecroft background I once had.  He threw goatees on all his babies, but most of those shed out in a few weeks.

Mary Ellen
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, Shetland Sheep,
and German Angora Rabbits, colored German Angora crosses.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.