[Jacob-list] jacob research project--questions

shepherd iseespots at email.msn.com
Thu Apr 27 11:13:31 EDT 2000

Hi all,

I have been slaving away with the MS ACCESS 2000 database development for
the Jacob Research Project.  I have 97 animals into the computer, and
another ~ 100 to go for forms that have been sent in by breeders around the
country.  Can you believe the enthusiasm and interest in learning with these
animals!?!  I just couldn't be more tickled.

Anyway---on with the real questions:

I am using the straight-on facials and profile shots of the heads to
determine ear angle, horn angle, facial profile as well as horn angle/facial
profile directions.

The facial profile looks like there might be the possibility of getting
information back for predictions of whether horns will tip forward more than
is "typically" desired----at least here's hoping!  I.E.  How much like a
recliner does the forehead have to become before the horns tip too far
forward?  Is this a steady correlation, and if so,  What is the "tip-over"
point?

We have reams of questions that have been asked/hopefully answered by the
sheep submitted, but if you have specific questions, please e-mail me.
There are ways of setting up the database that might aid in getting answers
better and the more questions we know of in the beginning, the more we can
hopefully pull out in the end.  I spent several hours going back this
morning adding a single datapoint on these 97 sheep that was sitting right
here in front of me that had not been put into the database---made me think
I don't want to do this too often with this many sheep.

Just an aside----there are about 20 farms across the country that have said
they would be participating at some level (1 animal to all their animals and
whatever information they could gather).  Out of these, there is 1 farm that
has been in operation over 10 years!  We have animals submitted from
considerably more than 20 breeding locations (owned by these participating
farms) and do have representation from most of the early or larger flocks.

Edd----Poring through the info you sent me awhile back, would it be
permissible to use those animals as well in this project for the info I can
glean from their files?  There will certainly be lots of empty holes on each
animal, but there would be information to be gained as well.

Anybody wanting to learn more about the project or how to get
started---please feel free to check my web site out as there is a section of
that dealing with the research project.  I will also be happy to answer
questions along the way with anybody.

People participating in the project remain anonymous as to their animals
submitted, information regarding their individual flocks, etc.  I will NOT
talk about information on individual animals with anybody but the person
submitting the animal either.  Each person checking their animals out so far
has gotten back with me about how amazed at the vast amount of information
they gained about their sheep----they have been as excited to know more
about their sheep as to help out in the project.  Individuals participating
in the project are privy to all findings of the data along the 5-year
collection period FIRST, before it is released to anybody else (just one of
those perks of the study).

Mary Ellen
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, Shetland Sheep,
and German Angora Rabbits, colored German Angora crosses.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.