[Jacob-list] Palilia

wolfpen wolfpen at alltel.net
Wed Apr 19 07:24:01 EDT 2000

My daughter just sent me this - thought it was interesting  -  Linda

April 21  On this day, an annual festival called the
Palilia (Feast of Pales) was celebrated in ancient
Rome to honor the pastoral Goddess Pales. Special
purification rites were performed to keep the sheep
disease-free. Shepherds trailed by their flock would
traditionally leap through bonfires. In the city of
Rome, the festival was celebrated with wine and
merriment, and eventually became accepted as the
Birthday of Rome. In more recent times, it has become
the eve ofEarth Day, when people remember their
responsibility toward the environment.