[Jacob-list] Registrations & Philosophies

shepherd iseespots at email.msn.com
Mon Apr 17 06:32:04 EDT 2000

Fred and all,

The issue of "what is right and what is wrong", how to handle knowledge that
is not pleasant, disclosure ethics, breeder need-to-know issues.  You
managed to hit them all squarely on the head.

I spent a rather lengthy time on the phone with a breeder yesterday in
discussion regarding many of these issues as relating to split eyelids, jaw
deformities, horn anomalies, color patterning woes....you name it, we
discussed it.  We both concluded we wished the information was published
that was included on registry applications as we could make much better
informed breeding/culling/purchase decisions.

As a new breeder, I went out and thought that whatever I would buy would
produce picture-perfect, defect-free animals.  I was lucky by some standards
that I found that to not be based on any fact.  These are NOT defect-free
animals in their genetic strings from either a picture standpoint for
markings or breed conformation.

I have looked split eyelid in the eye on the most "to die for" ewe lambs and
know they must be eaten.  I have seen hornless wonders and written about
them publicly as my personal philosophy is that without talking about the
problems, we cannot lessen their occurance and understand them better.  I am
also looking at 4 and maybe 5 lambs out of 6 in a particular breeding
configuration that have a known genetic defect.  Three years ago, I culled
an entire line of 6 animals from my property and requested the revocation of
a particular animal's registry papers from both Jacob breed organizations in
this country (this procedure is not possible in either organization then or
today).

We look for many traits in our sheep.  First and foremost, we need to be
looking for breed SOUNDNESS, and when genetic flaws become known, we need to
learn how to combat those problems head-on.  Is there a test to determine if
a particular animal is carrying the trait (if they carry it and are bred a
couple times, you can do the math on the odds yourself and realize it
becomes more and more likely that you will see the results)?

Burying our heads in the sand and saying that the sheep with the problems
are owned by people with poor quality livestock/health is the fastest road
to disaster.  It is extremely hard to ask the question.

I fall on the end of the answer spectrum, though, by saying that the breed
organizations should provide information and the BREEDER is responsible for
taking that information and doing with it what he/she feels is best for the
breed and their personal situation.

Mary Ellen
ISeeSpots Farm www.iseespots.com
Home of Jacob Sheep, Shetland Sheep,
and German Angora Rabbits, colored German Angora crosses.
Renewable fleeces, loving personalities, friends.