[Jacob-list] Registrations & Philosophies

Jacobflock at aol.com Jacobflock at aol.com
Sun Apr 16 22:55:02 EDT 2000

Fred Horak here and I should be taking the March JSC Journal to the printer
but the discussion on registration hits Joan and me pretty hard.

Mary Spahr's comment that we each have different approaches to breeding our
sheep....if your personal goals are to conserve...then.

Herein lies my personal conundrum with registration, in the context of
conserving a rare breed, numerically impaired at its foundation, and the
future of several rare breeds including the Jacob.

First, a registration PAPER appears on its surface to be a "gold seal of
purity" (a) this sheep meets the breed standard but does not address the
question of its genetic content. (b) it says that subsequent generations will
meet the breed standard.  Case fact: two registered sheep that threw horned
rams and polled ewes, second generation sheep that failed to meet the breed
standard from non-related registered Jacobs.

Second, registration PAPER does not address breeder motive: financial
(registered sheep sell at a premium), personal (does type preference breed
out certain breed traits), and even conservator motives (what is being
conserved?).

Third, a registration PAPER is the first thing a purchaser is handed, not the
pedigree, not a list of all progeny.  As a conservator I am often frustrated
by the naivete of purchasers who place so much confidence in the registration
PAPER.

Finally, too few breed orgainzations have been able to address the question
of identifying and purging registered animals for questionable progeny and
genetic problems.  So few breeders talk about progeny problems, inbreeding
depression or getting information out to educate breeders and reduce problems.

Case in point on a very personal level: in conjunction with a vet school, we
are repeating an experiment and have bred five ewes (all registered Jacobs)
expecting to produce Jacobs that will die in 12-24 months.  If successful we
will have identified a disease, a carrier line and, perhaps, a test to reduce
its occurence.  If the carrier line is identified, what do we do?  Do we
"unregister" sheep? Do we tell others?  This is not the first occurance of
this problem...why hasn't it been addressed before?  The final verdict for
this experiment is not in yet.  But what does the conservator do about the
PAPER...the ram and ewes who produce a lethal defect...their parent sire and
dam lines?

It is scientifically clear and evident that no breed registry (including
Jacobs) can guarantee "purity" (with a 95% confidence level) unless the same
breeding is repeated seven times and all progeny from this same 7 time
repeated breeding meets the breed standard.  Further, all the offspring from
the 7 breedings must breed true for seven breedings.  One failure means a
recessive gene is in the pool; a to quote a recent note from a breeder " a
bummer gets boinked behind the barn".

I am not against registration despite its inherent flaws because behind the
PAPER is a record of the family tree.  The conservator breeder registers
animals to create the ree and branches.  When the conservator registers
animals there is an assumed fiduciary responsibility to the breed and other
breeders; there is an accurate record of all breedings and all progeny.

There is an ethics question involved with registration and philosophy that
Joan and I are facing and would like the insights of other conservators.
What is the value of the PAPER, is there a fiduciary responsibility or have
we assumed something that does not exist, what if the experiment proves true
and should the information be shared, if so, how?  What of the family trees
involved?
Fred Horak