[Jacob-list] Registrations & Philosophies

Jim Spahr spahrfarm at dragonbbs.com
Sun Apr 16 19:08:01 EDT 2000

Thom & all,

We all have different approaches in breeding our sheep.  I think that is good.  If your personal goals are to conserve all Jacob traits, then you should follow your own philosophies.  We only have limited space here to keep rams.  We have 35 or so acres of pasture and woods, but only 3 fenced lots.  Behind the barn is the "ram pen".  Even though we cull for hornset, we have at least 15 mature rams in this pen, plus 3 others.  Thom, I think you teach economics if I remember correctly.  You will probably agree with my husband that it is not economical to feed all these rams hay year around without using them for breeding.  We have "conserved", or saved more rams than there is a market for.  Just like supply and demand with other goods or services.  These are rams that I thought were "too nice" to send to market.  There are many lovely rams being sent to auctions and the stockyards.  We will, out of necessity, be sending some of our better rams to market.  The first year that I had to decide who went and who stayed was very difficult for me.  It is a bit easier now, but still not something I enjoy doing.
I would like to send some photos of Jacobs that have been born here, to the list for open discussions and evaluations.  I already sent some to Ingrid for prospective inspectors to evaluate, but will see what I have left.  I invite others to dig some of the "skeletons out of their closets" to show everyone, so that we may try to clear up some of the terms used to describe our sheep.

                                                                             Mary Spahr