[Jacob-list] Esau and registration

D&K OBERLEF oberlef at desupernet.net
Sun Apr 16 14:00:23 EDT 2000

I love hearing the opinions of breeders who have some history with the Jacobs and who do not register on the subject of what the role of a registry is.  Dan, I totally agree with you that the role of an inspecter being difficult and thankless. I do not envy it and am greatful there are people out there with more knowledge and history with Jacobs than I do. Often inspectors' decisions may be based on what they feel is good for the breed as a whole, instead of decisions that are good for an individual flock.  For example, it sounds as though if Esau's line had used a little bit less often by other breeders, then Thom would have been given the go ahead.

I thought it was interesting the JSBA article was brought up and that there was so many different takes on it.  I have no desire to read between the lines as to what was intended by the letter, and will assume only the best intentions. Probably so many of us are aware of past bad feeling that we are on the lookout for them.  I was puzzled, however, as to why the author made a statement about JSC without checking with that organization. JSC does require picture photos of all lambs up for registry, no matter if their parents are registered or not. Just wanted to clear up that misunderstanding again. I think it would have been a gesture of respect to make sure statements about another organization were correct before printing them in a newsletter.

(By the way,Linda, your leaping lamb story was great.  I am realizing more and more, this is what I love about Jacobs the most...their spunk!  ...and I have to say, thinking about things like that rather than the hidden agendas in articles is so much more appealing...thanks.)

Katrina Lefever
Chicory Lane Farm