ratop hangs server

Carter Bullard carter at qosient.com
Mon Mar 19 16:48:33 EDT 2012

Hey Zach,
ratop.1 is a pretty complex program, but at its core its an argus data aggregator.
Without some tweaking of the variables and options, ratop.1 can use up all the memory
on a machine tracking all the flows that it sees in the argus data stream.  I'm pretty sure
that you're tracking more flows than ratop.1 can handle.  If you type control-g when in
ratop.1, on the bottom line it will print some stats, such as how many flows are in the
process queue, the display queue, how many its receiving per second etc….
If you could get these stats when ratop.1 is in trouble that would be helpful.

When ratop.1 can't keep up with the source of argus data, queues fill up, and the argus
data source will eventually drop the connnection to ratop.1.  There may be a problem
when argus does this, based on your description.

I normally recommend that you have a radium.1 connected to argus, and have your
ratop's and other clients connect to radium, rather than argus, as this tends to protect
argus from flow control and socket problems, although it should work,…...

There are 2 basic ways of controlling the amount of memory ratop.1 uses.  Timeout
the flows very quickly, or aggregate the incoming data so that you track less flows.
Run ratop with a good aggregation model like:

   ratop -S source -m matrix/16

And see if it lasts longer.  While this view may not have all the info you're looking for,
the test will just show if its a memory problem or not.

Carter